Sunday, May 16, 2010

Shooting Beauty - Everyone Deserves a Shot

If you follow me on twitter, you’ll realize that the majority of my tweets are linking to things that I find interesting, mostly photography related, and that I think are worth sharing. Very rarely (in fact, only once before this) do I feel something is so worth sharing that I create a blog post about it. There won't be any photos in this post, but if you're interested, please hit the jump to keep reading and watch a quick video.


This is one of those times though. I’d like to introduce you to a film I recently discovered called ‘Shooting Beauty’. Its tag line is ‘Everyone Deserves a Shot’. Here’s a quick synopsis straight from the site – 

“Shooting Beauty tells the inspirational story of an aspiring fashion photographer named Courtney Bent whose career takes an unexpected turn when she discovers a hidden world of beauty at a center for people living with significant disabilities. Shot over the span of a decade, this film puts you in Courtney's shoes as she overcomes her own unspoken prejudices and begins inventing cameras accessible to her new friends. Courtney's efforts snowball into an award-winning photography program called "Picture This"—and become the backdrop for this eye-opening story about romance, loss and laughter that will change what you thought you knew about living with a disability—and without one.”

I won’t generalize and say everyone, but it certainly seems as though many people have unspoken prejudices towards those with disabilities. I don’t know why really. I will come out and say I know I certainly struggle with it at times. Given the chance though, these people can certainly accomplish awesome things – it shouldn’t be automatically assumed that they can’t. They key is giving them a chance.

This documentary looks to be incredibly inspirational – won’t say any more, but please check out the trailer below.


SHOOTING BEAUTY trailer from George Kachadorian on Vimeo.

If you're interested you can check out the website for the movie, follow them on twitter, or join the Shoot Beauty Facebook page; all the information is available at the website - everyonedeservesashot.com

No comments: